Every parent wants their kids to be healthy! Encouraging healthy habits and physical activity at a young age can help prevent childhood obesity and can lead to a lifelong habit of health for our children.
Children should be physically active for 60 minutes every day, or most days. Physical activity for kids should be fun! Getting kids moving helps them develop mentally, physically, socially and emotionally. It can be as simple as turning off the television and playing! Some ideas to help get your family moving include:
- Putting on music and dancing
- Playing twister
- Hide and Seek
- Scavenger hunts
- Hula Hooping
- Jump Roping
- Go to the park
- Playing Hop-Scotch
- Visit a local gym or YMCA
- Playing Sports
You can also have an impact on your child’s health through encouraging healthy eating habits! Enjoying healthy foods, balance, and moderation can be a fun part of family meal times! Here are a few ideas to help promote healthy eating habits for your family!
- Have regular family meals.
- Encourage your kids to eat when hungry and stop when full.
- Serve a variety of healthy foods and snacks.
- Don’t label foods as “Good” or “Bad”. All foods can fit in moderation.
- Be a role model by eating healthy yourself.
- Avoid battles over food.
- Involve kids in the process of cooking.
For information on how what you say impacts your child’s health check out Phrases that Help and Hinder
And for loads of healthy recipes you can try with your family, check out MyPlate on Pinterest